Newnan Chapel United Methodist Church is currently seeking an anointed Minister of Music.
Job Title: Minister of Music/Organist
Accountable to: Senior Pastor
Position Status (Full time or Part time): Part-Time
Hours and Salary Consideration:
The position of Church Minister of Music is a contract position at Newnan Chapel UMC.
The Church Minister of Music is currently assigned to the following Sundays:
- 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th and plays for the Gospel, Male Chorus, Children’s and Youth Choirs.
Financial compensation for this position is based on experience, Negotiable
Services rendered during funeral services are paid for by the requesting family.
Job Requirements & Skills (Preferred):
Must exemplify a Christian way of life
- Must be able to work as a team with entire staff
- Must have good communication, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work with multiple age groups from children to adults
- Ability to collaborate with the staff on all worship opportunities
- Ability to read sheet music and fluently play hymns
- Ability to teach choral parts
- Knowledge of and 3-5 years of prior leadership experience in church music (United Methodist preferred)
Job Responsibilities & Duties:
Play 15 minutes before service
- Provide plans, music, and oversight for all services
- Work with Pastors in planning music for services
- Lead congregation in spiritual growth through music
- Pianist, Organist for all church services in the sanctuary
- Oversee and/or direct choirs – Gospel, Children/Youth, and Male Choir
- Practice schedule for each choir is as follows:
Gospel Choir – Wednesday before Sunday of singing which is 1st and 4th Sunday
Male Chorus – Saturday before the 3rd Sunday
Children’s Choir – Saturday before they sing
Youth Choir – Saturday before they sing which is 5th Sunday
- Work with and supervise volunteers for choirs, i.e. choir moms, accompanists, and directors
- Plan music for special services – Easter, Christmas, etc.
- Oversee care and maintenance of organ and pianos
- Plan music for Sunday services in collaboration with Senior Pastor, Worship Committee, other Music Ministry Leaders and audio /visual
- Be a visionary and drive creativity and adaptability to ensure the congregation is engaged in the worship experience through music
- Foster relationships and fellowship as a team builder and proactively serve as an ambassador to recruit potential new members for all music ministries
- Attend Worship Committee meetings to plan and ensure music alignment with the speakers’ vision and coordination among all music leaders
- Effective communications among all music ministries are present and working well
- Assist the Children’s choirs to be a regular part of the worship services and encourage joint collaboration whenever appropriate
- Promote the mission of the church with passion and integrity
- Ensure that the weekly musical selections to be included in the bulletins are submitted to church Administrative Assistant in a timely manner
- Order new music as necessary in collaboration with the leaders of each musical group
- Prepare and submit the annual budget for the music program to the Senior Pastor
- Monitor copyright restrictions and ensure appropriate licensing is maintained for traditional music
Accountability and Supervision
Directly supervised by the church pastor(s).
- Many of the duties are in direct support to the church pastor’s agenda, schedule, and needs as determined by the pastor on a day to day basis
- Accountable to the Staff-Pastor Parish Committee (SPRC), as this committee is designated as the human resources body within the United Methodist Church
- This position is subject to review on a yearly basis and is subject to adjustments should the need arrive based on performance or other issues that may arise
Character and Confidentiality
The position requires that one is to perform with focused intensity and self-reliance; remaining optimistic and friendly with Pastor, church staff, choir members, and the congregation.
- Should successfully complete all requirements of Safe Sanctuary